Sunday 20 January 2013

IN THE BLEAK MIDWINTER………………….

When we left to go to church this morning it had started to snow but our road was pretty clear; by the time we arrived back home after Mass it was snow covered and not at all pleasant. Early this morning I had a phone call from our church organist to say that, due to the weather, he would not be able to get to church to play today so I filled the gap. After a somewhat ad hoc choir practice I played an organ setting of Cesar Franck’s Panis Angelicus. As an anthem, the choir sang “In the bleak midwinter” for which I extemporised an accompaniment so that it sounded a little special, playing a descant above the tune. At the end of the service I played the March from Handel’s Occasional Oratorio. Father Martin and I were both pleasantly surprised by the numbers who had braved the atrocious weather to attend Mass

I preached on today’s Gospel which related Jesus’ first miracle at Cana in Galilee, you can read more here.

1 comment:

  1. And there are those who say that men can't multi-task! More power to your many talents, Father!

    ReplyDelete