Today we went to the William Morris Exhibition at 2 Temple Place. This is an extraordinary building which was built for the Astors. Although designed as a house it has never been used as such; it was known for years as Astor House. Rebuilt after WW2 it is very elaborate with the most wonderful panelling and carving. After the Astors sold it, it was occupied by Sun Life of Canada from 1922 to 1928, the Society of Incorporated Accountants and Auditors from 1928 to 1959 and Smith & Nephew from 1959 to the present time. It is now run and preserved by the Bulldog Trust; for more information about the trust click here. Only open occasionally it is well worth a visit. For more information and detailed photo’s about 2 Temple Place go here It opened in October 2011 as London’s newest public gallery.
During the refurbishing of the William Morris Museum in Walthamstow various articles, prints, designs etc. have been exhibited here in a free exhibition which finishes on Sunday. We had to queue for around 40 minutes but the wait was very worthwhile. After the exhibition we went to the Spaghetti House for lunch and then onto CTS and St. Paul’s Bookshop.