Sunday 26 June 2011

HAVERING MELA

After presiding at the Solemn Mass, Procession and Benediction at St. Augustine's it was home to change and then, this afternoon, after a quick lunch, Ann and I went to the Havering Mela at Hornchurch. Organised by the Asian Women’s Association this annual event is a day of great fun with food, live music, dance and stalls. There was a big bouncy castle for the children and entry was free. I was fascinated by several stalls which offered henna painting although I didn’t have one myself!!!!!!

A mela is a Meeting Place and this event is a meeting place for east and west. I fell in love with India when we went on holiday there in 2007. I was rather sad that there weren’t more non-Indian or non-Asian folk there.

There used to be a similar event when I was serving my title, some 25 years ago, at the Knowle Team Ministry (Holy Nativity and St. Martins) Bristol and I remember sampling some of their food then and which I did again today. Ann and I enjoyed the experience and will go again next year if we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment