Sunday 28 October 2012

JAZZED UP HYMN TUNES!

On Sunday’s I usually listen to the Morning Service on Radio 4 at 8.10 a.m. and the quality of both words and music is quite variable. Today the hymn “Be thou my vision” was sung to the beautiful Irish Tune Slane except it wasn’t beautiful at all the way it had been arranged. Who ever arranged it had set Slane to a South American type beat which I thought it was absolutely dreadful. Why do people feel they have to do this sort of thing with classical hymn tunes; it is totally unnecessary. It does nothing to enhance worship; quite the reverse in my opinion, it totally ruins it. Although I personally don’t like many of the modern worship songs, I suppose that they can be rendered that way – most of them are doggerel sung to music which has little, if any, musical merit anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment